Meaning ‘to glitter’ or ‘shine’ in Icelandic, Glitra lives up to its name with sparkling seed beads and the radiant glow of silk.
Shibui Knits ‘Silk Cloud’ and ‘Cima’ are combined to form a textural mix akin to the atmospheric Icelandic landscape. Taking further inspiration from the mountainous peaks, a geometric short-row stitch pattern is knit on each tip of the rectangular scarf.
The remaining length is worked in a knit and purl stripe formation, causing the fabric to undulate like crisp waves. The scarf is worked from each end in two pieces and joined at the center using the Kitchener stitch.
The pattern uses a Main Color (MC) and two contrast colors (CC1) & (CC2) of lace weight yarn. CC1 and CC2 are each held double throughout.
The sample was knitted with: Shibui Knits Cima in 'Tar' for MC, Shibui Knits Silk Cloud in 'Cove' for CC1, Shibui Knits Silk Cloud in 'Fog' for CC2.
- MC: 485 yards/443 meters.
- CC1: 158 yards/ 144 meters.
- CC2: 356 yards/ 326 meters.
The pattern also uses size 11/0 seed beads. 288 beads each in Color 1, 2, 3 & 4.
(1,152 beads total).
- Length: 75" (190.5cm), Width: 10.25" (26cm) after blocking.
- 27 sts & 34 rows = 4”/10cm in 'Short Row Triangle Stitch' after blocking, on US 4 (3.5mm) needles.
- 28 sts & 39 rows = 4”/10cm in 'Striped Wave Stitch' after blocking, on US 4 (3.5mm) needles.
Always use a needle size that achieves the correct gauge.
PDF pattern download. Written instructions. Pattern has been tech edited.